I ended up using tintin++, since it had a rudimentary auto-mapper which looked interesting. After playing around with it for a while, I wondered if there was a way I could use my zmud maps with tintin++. I couldn't find my wotmud maps from a long time ago, so I grabbed the ones available from map.wotmad.org. What follows is the rough steps it took to get them into a format tintin++ understood.
- export zmud MDB data
- regex it into something sqlite likes
- throw it at sqlite
- tweak some data so tintin++ can do more things (like colors) faster/easier
- grab what we need from sqlite and output tintin++'s format
$ perl ./mdb2sqlite.pl zmud.mdb
$ perl ./zmudconv.pl zmud.mdb.sqlite > tintin.map
mdb2sqlite.pl throws some errors on MetaTbl and another at the end, but they seem to be harmless. If you have a suggestion for a fix, I happily accept patches (or just guru-like advice too, I suppose).
Also, a few more things. My wotmud map had too many rooms for tintin++, so I wrote a little patch that increases the maximum (to 100k) to fix that. It seems to work for me, but YMMV.
Finally, for those of you using a distro without tintin++, but with RPM, here's a specfile for you (that uses the above patch, too). Just pull the patch into SOURCES/ first.
$ rpmbuild --sign -ba SPECS/tintin.spec
* Without the --sign if you don't have rpm set up to use gpg.
Anyway, happy MUDding!